Instantly easy: 6 instant coffee recipes
By Death Wish Coffee — / Death Wish Coffee Blog
DELICIOUS AND FAST
By Angela Garrity, Guest Blogger
Speaking from outside the mug, there are many uses for instant coffee that you may not have considered. Dalgona coffee helped launch instant coffee love across the US seemly overnight thanks to social media, however that was just the beginning for the single-serve option.
Coffee Jello makes the child in all of us giggle because who doesn’t like jello? This one is a little more grown-up, but not beyond us, as coffee and dessert lovers.
Vietnamese Egg Coffee was born out of the scarcity of fresh milk before and during the Vietnam war. While the idea of egg + coffee might not sound exciting, it’s really more of a caffeinated dessert that resembles a sweet and creamy custard served with a spoon.
Granita di Caffé con Panna might be a Sicilian breakfast, but it also doubles as an amazing dessert, too. Granita is essentially shaved ice, so unlike ice cream making, don't worry about ice crystals forming as it's freezing.
These coffee bean cookies are the perfect pairing with coffee or can hold their own, alone.
A Boozy Flat White might be ideal for a brunch get together. With a hint of vanilla and a splash of Kahlua, topped generously with that whipped dalgona, it takes the classic brunch drink to a new level.
Why wait for the holidays when you can make this boozy tiramisu swiss cake roll now? Dig in.
- 4 cups hot Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp gelatin
- 1 10 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- Whisk hot Death Wish Coffee, gelatin and sugar in a large measuring cup (measuring at least 4 cups) until completely dissolved.
- Pour into 8x8 square pan and chill for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight.
- When firm and completely chilled, cut into squares and carefully place into individual glasses or small bowls.
- Whisk 1 can sweetened condensed milk and milk until smooth and fully combined. Transfer into a small pitcher for serving.
- Place coffee jello into individual cups/bowls. Pour sweet milk over jello squares and serve immediately with spoons and extra sweet milk.
Optional: To make your coffee jello ombre, fill about ¾ of the way with sweet milk. Top with a little extra coffee, gently stir and serve.
Vietnamese Egg Coffee
- 12 oz Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- Brew 2 cups of Death Wish Instant Coffee.
- Whip the egg yolk and sweetened condensed milk until light frothy or soft peaks.
- Add egg mixture on top of the coffee.
Granita di Caffè con Panna
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup freshly brewed Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Combine water and 1/2 cup of the sugar sugar in a small sauce pan over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved, making a simple syrup. Remove from heat.
- Stir the freshly brewed espresso into the simple syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a flat metal pan and pace in the freezer. Every 30 minutes take the mixture out and stir it up with a fork, breaking up any ice crystals that form. Do this for 3-4 hours. As the mixture gets more frozen you will be scraping the ice with the fork to mix it up.
- If you want a granita that is more slushy to be eaten immediately, stop after 3 hours. If you want one that is more granular that will store for a couple of days in the freezer go to 4 hours scraping the frozen mixture with the fork to create ice crystals.
- Combine the heavy cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a large bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Place a little of the whipped cream in the bottom of a serving glass, spoon the granita in, then top with a lot more whipped cream.
Coffee Bean Cookies
- 120g All Purpose Flour
- 12g Cocoa Powder
- 25g Corn Starch
- 5g Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 8g Hot Water
- 75g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 65g Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- In a large bowl, whisk the softened unsalted butter until creamy.
- Add the icing sugar into the butter and whisk until combined with no lumps.
- Add the egg yolk into the mixture. Mix until combined.
- Mix the instant coffee powder and hot water until combined. Add into the yolk mixture and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all purpose flour, cocoa powder, and corn starch.
- Sift the dry ingredients to the batter gradually – one-third at a time. Mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Separate the dough into balls of 8g each. Shape them into an oval shape.
- Carefully use the back of a butter knife or toothpick to press a middle line on each dough.
- Place them on a parchment paper and in a container with lid. Put them into freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 170 °C or 325 °F.
- Transfer the coffee bean cookies on to a baking sheet with parchment paper carefully. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Carefully place the cookies into the cooling rack. Ready to serve.
Boozy Flat White
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 1 tablespoon honey or granulated sugar (see note)
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) vodka
- 1 - 1 1/2 ounces (2-3 tablespoons) Kahlua
- 1-2 ounces (2-4 tablespoons) whole milk or nut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the hot water, instant coffee, and honey in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, whip until fluffy and light, 2-3 minutes.
- Fill a glass with ice. Add the vodka, Kahlua, and a splash of vanilla. Stir. Pour the milk over and stir to combine. Spoon the whipped coffee overtop. Gently stir and enjoy!
Tiramisu Swiss Roll Cake
- 1 x recipe for Vanilla Sponge Cake, (recipe below)
For the filling:
- 150 ml double cream
- 130 g mascarpone cheese
- 75 ml Marsala wine
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the coffee soak:
- 100 ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp instant Death Wish Coffee
- 75 ml Marsala wine
For the glaze:
- 30 g unsalted Lurpak butter
- 150 ml double cream
- 100 g dark chocolate, (70% cocoa solids), broken into small chunks
- 1 tbsp golden syrup or light, , runny honey
- 1 tbsp milk
- white chocolate, , shaved into curls with a peeler
- cocoa nibs
- Prepare the vanilla sponge cake according to the recipe below.
Make the filling:
- Pour the double cream into a large bowl and whisk until thickened. Add the mascarpone and stir that in until smooth. Pour in the Marsala, icing sugar and vanilla. Stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth and keep whisking until it thickens up again. Chill until needed later.
Make the coffee soak:
- In a medium bowl combine the boiling water, instant coffee and Marsala. Stir until the coffee has completely dissolved.
- Unroll the cooled cake and brush all over with the coffee mixture using a pastry brush. Use ALL of the mixture. Spread the filling mixture over the surface of the cake stopping just short of the edges. Roll the cake up again (starting at the short edge as you did before). Transfer to a wire rack and chill while you make the glaze.
For the glaze:
- Place the butter, cream and chocolate into a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir gently and constantly until the chocolate has melted. Take off the heat and stir in the golden syrup and milk.
- Remove the cake from the fridge, still on the rack, and set it over a baking tray. Pour the glaze all over the cake, coaxing it with a spoon if needed, so that it covers everything.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes then use a metal spatula and your hands to transfer the cake to a serving platter. Decorate with shaved white chocolate and cocoa nibs. Chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days before serving.