It's National Cleaning Week — honestly, what else do you have to do?
By Death Wish Coffee — / Death Wish Coffee Blog
Here's why you spring clean this week
By Angela Garrity, Guest blogger
Time to get to that Spring Cleaning that you’ve been putting off since, well — likely last spring, because it’s also National Cleaning Week.
In addition to having a tidy home, this week can produce improved moods, decreased stress levels, and increased creativity. It’s a week to put away winter essentials and freshen up home just in time to usher in a fresh start with spring. Plus, with all of us being home, what else do you have to do in your free time?
Spotlessly speaking from the pages of history, some researchers trace the origin of spring cleaning to the Persian new year, which falls on the first day of spring. Iranians continue the practice just before the Persian New Year when everything in the house is thoroughly cleaned from drapes to furniture.
Another possibility has been suggested that the origins of spring cleaning date back to the ancient Jewish practice of thoroughly cleansing the home in anticipation of Passover.
Americans spend about six hours per week making things ship-shape but aren’t afraid of “giving the dirt” on the most dreaded tasks which include: cleaning the bathroom, kitchen cleaning, dusting, mopping, and laundry.
Here are our tips on spring cleaning:
- The best way to observe National Cleaning Week is to not feel intimidated and to simply get started cleaning.
- Tackle one room at a time, start from the top and work down, dusting ceiling fans door moldings and window tops.
- Don’t be afraid to move furniture.
- Donate used and unwanted items gathered from cleaning out closets, basements and storage space.
- Especially right now, it's important to sanitize commonly touched areas daily: Doorknobs, cabinet handles, light switches, faucets, and more
The American Cleaning Institute provides an easy cleaning schedule, but we have an even easier solution — task other people to do it for you. Teenage children, anyone?
Oh, and remember to clean that coffee maker, too.
ENTER TO WIN FREE COFFEE: