You might not know coffee can do these things
By Death Wish Coffee — / Death Wish Coffee Blog
IS THERE ANYTHING COFFEE CAN'T DO?
By Angela Garrity, Guest Blogger
Coffee is the most helpful plant on the planet. Reader’s Digest listed a few that you likely didn’t know and some we didn’t want to go to waste.
- Furniture Fixer Upper – Dark wood furniture that has a small crack, nick or gouge can be instantly repaired with the help of instant coffee. Just mix two to three tablespoons with just enough water to create a thick paste. For wood with red tones (such as cherry), add a few drops of iodine. Put the paste on a small putty knife or a disposable plastic knife and use it to fill the damage. Remove any excess coffee mixture around the edges with a slightly damp cloth. Let the paste dry completely and buff with furniture wax.
- Food Delivery Drivers – Let’s be honest, your car doesn’t smell so hot. All the different types of food smells are lingering in your car’s upholstery making it smell like a college dorm. It’s time to get that smell gone by placing a small, open container of fresh ground coffee beans in a cup holder. The grounds will absorb the odors and you can toss the used beans out just like your old college roommate.
- A Composter’s Dream – It’s Spring and that means it’s time to plant things we love. If you add coffee grounds to your compost, they’ll work in accelerating the composting due to their excellent source of nitrogen. Simply sprinkle on the soil and mix it in. Let nature take care of the rest.
- Pet Peeve – Heat up a cup of fresh ground coffee beans in a cast-iron skillet over low heat to dispel pet odors from a room. Once the great smell of coffee is released into the air, move the pan to a trivet in the stinky room and there it will “stay” until the beans are cool.
- Have Your Cake and Eat it, Too – Next time you want to indulge your sweet side, try switching out the water in the boxed cake recipe calls for brewed coffee. Treat yourself to the richness. You deserve it.
- Disappearing Stains – Using a wet coffee filter and a few grounds, scrub stains from ceramic mugs. Just like that, they’re magically gone.
- Gone Fishin’ – If you catch a man a fish, he eats for a day. If you teach a man to use coffee grounds in his earthworm bait, well, he may never come home - because he’ll be too busy catching fish. Earthworms love it and fish can’t resist a fat, juicy meal.
Coffee is so useful for all kinds of lifehacks. From gardening to cleaning household items, to using it to stain wood and fabric, most never knew how handy this little plant would be.
RELATED: Coffee jitters? Here's the fix